Summer is here. And so are new improvements to Boomerang

Aye Moah June 21, 2011 39
We released some awesome new features last night (6/21) to Boomerang for Gmail. You should see the changes the next time you load Gmail. If you do not see the changes, try restarting your browser. Here are some details:

Streamlined Boomerang and Send Later Menus
The “At a specific time” window is now integrated into the menu. We hope that this will make it easier for you to specify a custom time and reduce a couple mouse clicks for you.

Track responses from the Boomerang menu — not just while sending a message.
You can now track response to any message – in your inbox, sent mail, or anywhere else – and Boomerang it only if you don’t get a response. This was one of the most popular feature requests from Boomerang customers.
Did you know there’s a Boomerang menu at the top right of the Gmail screen?
It’s now a drop down menu, including ways for you to view and manage your scheduled messages, and tell your friends about Boomerang.
Schedule messages from the standalone Compose window.
This feature was requested often by Boomerang customers. So those of you who made the request, this is for you!

You can also now specify a custom date and time to track responses to a message you are sending. Before you were limited to choose one of the default time options, now you can choose any date, time to your heart content!

Improved support for multiple accounts sign-in.

My favorite feature of this update is that Boomerang no longer requires me to select which account I want to use every time I switch between my Gmail and Google Apps email addresses. It knows which account I am in and maps the right account.

Manage Boomerang page improvements

We added links to open up individual scheduled messages in new browser windows.

39 Comments »

1. mp99 June 22, 2011 at 5:12 am - Reply

Really really really wish you would add “monday” so it would send it back @ start of work week. please? it would be more useful than “random” :)

2. mihai June 22, 2011 at 5:13 am - Reply

nice tool guys..
    & if you say it’s now 75% faster, than it’e even better :)

3. Liguo Kong June 22, 2011 at 5:17 am - Reply

Cool!

4. Avinash D'Souza June 22, 2011 at 5:31 am - Reply

This is awesome guys!!!

Boomerang keeps getting better and better..more power to ya!

Just wish you guys did a plug-in for apps besides Outlook…i.e. Thundebird & Postbox.

5. Ian June 22, 2011 at 5:31 am - Reply

This looks great! I have one question and that is, now do we upgrade to this newer version or does it upgrade itself? I’m looking forward to using it. Great work fellas.
    Ian

6. Leandro June 22, 2011 at 5:39 am - Reply

Please allow us to remove the Boomerang icons from the buttons, it’s taking useless extra space.

7. Eric June 22, 2011 at 5:45 am - Reply

Great changes — thank you! Love Boomerang!

8. John M June 22, 2011 at 5:46 am - Reply

Nice updates to the menus. Your product just keeps getting better and better. The multiple account update is a big one for me. I’ve bought a subscription already, but never ‘applied’ it to one of my email addresses since you’re still in beta, but I’d love to be able to all of them somehow. I basically boucne between 3 email addresses for various purposes and would like to have Boomerang on all of them. Keep up the great work.

9. Pablo June 22, 2011 at 5:56 am - Reply

Hi there! I’m a very fanatic Boomerang’s user, it’s great! but, a question, it’s available as a “google labs”? because, I use many diferent computers so I need install it every time.
    Greetings!

10. Eleanor June 22, 2011 at 5:58 am - Reply

Do I need to do something to get the updated boomerang?

11. Avisha June 22, 2011 at 6:19 am - Reply

How do we get the new update? Do we need download something?

12. Bob Irving June 22, 2011 at 6:27 am - Reply

Hey guys, love Boomerang! It’s the one indispensable extension I use in Firefox. So my question is… when will it be compatible with FF 5? I’m holding off on upgrading.

13. James June 22, 2011 at 6:29 am - Reply

Many thanks for these changes, and for your fantastic plug-in. The change I’ve been waiting for is offline support, so I can compose messages in Gmail Offline and schedule them to send later. Is this in the pipeline?

14. Melissa June 22, 2011 at 6:34 am - Reply

I thought it would be kind of nice that the “specific time” option is now in the main dropdown, but it doesn’t let you manually edit the time unless you reselect the date first. I always send at a specific time and usually only need to change the day or part of the hour. All I wanted to do this time was change one number so this doesn’t really save me any mouse clicks. Maybe in the next release you could make that field editable without having to reselect the date?

15. conker June 22, 2011 at 7:24 am - Reply

So how do I get the update? Is it being pushed out in intervals? I restarted Chrome, and I did not get the changes?

16. Ram June 22, 2011 at 7:54 am - Reply

Hi,

Exciting improvements!! I am still not seeing these on my Boomerang yet on Chrome Beta 13.0.782.24. Should I take any action? I tried reloading the Extension as well as Restarting the browser.

Regards, Ram

17. Nick June 22, 2011 at 11:10 am - Reply

Do I have to update Boomerang somehow? I don’t seem to have the new features judging by the fact that the Boomerang menu in the upper right corner of gmail not a drop down. Thanks.

18. Zeke June 22, 2011 at 11:26 am - Reply

Are these changes still rolling out, or do we have to reinstall the extension? Mine does not have the updates.

19. Daniel June 22, 2011 at 1:01 pm - Reply

Same here – I followed Aye Moah’s instructions but I’m still seeing the old version.

20. Alex Moore June 22, 2011 at 1:12 pm - Reply

@Bob Irving
    It already is! Just visit http://www.boomeranggmail.com in FF5, and click the download button.

21. Alex Moore June 22, 2011 at 1:13 pm - Reply

@Daniel

@Zeke

@Nick

@Ram

@conker
    Try just restarting your browser, and the updates should appear. Failing that, you might want to clear your browser cache, which should force the update to happen. Thanks!

22. Alex Moore June 22, 2011 at 1:14 pm - Reply

@James
    Offline support would be really tough for us, because we count on Gmail being in sync with what you see in your browser to work properly. We’ll continue to think about how to do it, though.

23. Aris June 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm - Reply

I uninstalled the previous version and installed the new one. But I don’t see anything new. My version is: 0.9.5

24. Aris June 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm - Reply

By the way great tool thank you for your work

25. Kathy June 22, 2011 at 1:56 pm - Reply

Thanks for the updates. Love boomerang! Just a note though that it’s not summer in the southern hemisphere. We’re working with mid-winter and earthquakes down here in NZ! :-)

26. Aye Moah June 22, 2011 at 2:27 pm - Reply

@Kathy Ohh, yea. We just had our summer solstice. But happy winter to all you habitants of southern hemisphere. :)

27. Aye Moah June 22, 2011 at 2:29 pm - Reply

@Aris You may have to restart your browser to see the changes in your menus.

28. Danny Bloomfield June 23, 2011 at 12:21 pm - Reply

@Aye great update! When I am replying to a thread and I click on when I want the message boomeranged back, it scrolls me up to the top of the page away from the message I’m composing.

Also- ‘boomerang’ as a verb is now part of my organization’s vernacular, not just our workflow. :)

• Aye Moah June 23, 2011 at 2:06 pm - Reply

Thanks, Danny. We will look into the scrolling behavior. I know it’s related to authentication that happens in the background. But we will try and find a fix for this.

Glad to know ‘Boomerang’ is now a verb for your company. :)

29. Andrew Ogura June 26, 2011 at 8:18 pm - Reply

All the improvements we were waiting for and “BAM” there they are. OUTSTANDING upgrade folks.

• Alex Moore June 28, 2011 at 3:08 pm - Reply

Thanks! Glad you like it!

30. Derren June 28, 2011 at 6:44 am - Reply

First of all, I love Boomerang! I’m having a little difficulty since the most recent upgrade, though. When navigating through messages using the j and k keyboard shortcuts, the Boomerang drop down menu disappears. It then reappears on the next message opened via a shorcut. So if you keep scrolling through messages with shortcuts, you will only have the Boomerang drop down on every other message.

• Alex Moore June 28, 2011 at 3:08 pm - Reply

Cool, thanks for letting us know! We’ll look into it.

31. Ian June 29, 2011 at 5:03 am - Reply

Let me just say that Boomerang has revolutionised my worklfow – love it. Since the new update the ‘Send at specific time’ option is really buggy on Firefox 5. When I chose this option it is there however when I click on the calendar icon to automatically be able to choose a specific date, nothing – no popup, no option, nothing. I can enter the specific date manually but this actually creates more clicks and more work when dealing with a large number of emails. On the old version of Boomerang it simply popped up as a new window and could select the dtaes from the calendar there. Anyone else experiencing similar problems?

32. Mark Lewis July 1, 2011 at 11:51 am - Reply

I love Boomerang. Is it possible somehow to note on the email header the currently set date it will boomerang back? Also, if a message has boomeranged back and is not set to come back again can the label be removed automatically. It is sometimes confusing to know if an email is rescheduled to come back again because it still has the boomerang label. Removing the label will remove that uncertainty.

• Aye Moah July 6, 2011 at 12:18 pm - Reply

Hi Mark,

You can uncheck the “labeled as Boomerang” check box from the preferences section in Manage Boomerang page to remove the label upon returning.

Thanks for your feedback.

33. Joven October 18, 2012 at 7:49 pm - Reply

Hi guys, love boomerang, but would really love to see an add-on/plugin for Thunderbird and/or Postbox. Hope it’s in the pipeline!

Leave A Response »